An initiative of Ashvin clinic. It is a non-profitable organization. A support group is two or more people who come together regularly and voluntarily to discuss shared experience in person, on phone, Internet or emails.
People usually find out about cancer support group through a friend, newspaper or Internet.
SUPPORT GROUP HAS POTENTIAL TO
Improve the ability of the patient to cope
Alleviates the feeling of aloneness
Gives a sense of hope
DIAGNOSIS OF CANCER OFTEN LEADS TO STRONG EMOTIONAL RESPONSE. IT IS MOST STRESSFUL EXPERIENCE IN A PERSON’S LIFE.
- And sense of loss
WHAT DO SUPPORT GROUP MEMBERS DO?
SHARE INFORMATION ON
- What to expect during treatment
- Side effects of treatment
- How to manage pain
- How to communicate with health care providers and family members
- Discuss nutrition and exercise
- Life after cancer
WHAT DO YOU FIND IN SUPPORT GROUP?
- Relief from fear and depression
- Hope for improved survival and quality of life
- Optimism and inspiration
- Helps maintaining positive attitude
Support group organizes meetings and invite speakers to present topics of interest, which includes doctors, nurses, psychologist, and dietitians.